Friday, May 30, 2008

5.30.08

I am SOOOO impressed with Steve. Operating the wheelchair by himself with the sip and puff, he got onto the elevator, got off on the first floor. This allowed him to the see the entrance to the building for the first time, and the corridors leading all different directions. He went down the one hall with glass walls--and into the Shepherd Center gift shop. His physical therapist, Katie, encouraged him to go around the tight aisle, which he did like a champ! Seriously.He maneuvered with amazing precision, passed the glass jewelry cases. The only incident was the card rack that was at the end. The corner was too tight so he actually nudged the rack along. But once the big, orange, plastic rack started moving, he laughed. I mean, he was trying not to so that he could still hold the sip and puff, but he was laughing, bigger than I've seen in a long, long time. THAT was awesome. And no harm done. Katie said that it looked better where he had placed it. Ah, what a treat. From there, we continued back upstairs to the gym. I got to watch Steve on the bike which was very cool. I have photos, but I am not the Center's computer and I see there is nowhere to hook up my cord. I'll have to post those later.

It seems that Steve had an uneventful night, he got some sleep. OK, gotta dash and get back to him. I am telling you, seeing him smile like that was like a dose of sunshine.